Hoko-ji

Hoko-ji is a Buddhist temple in Nanbu. It sports what is said to be the tallest three-story pagoda in Japan. Though the pagoda was built more recently (1949), the site has been a temple site for over 700 years.

When I make my blog posts, I like to do a little extra research on the places we have visited. Learning about the history of these places is always exciting to me. I came across a great article on The Insider Misawa, written by Misawa tour guide Simon Bernard.


The most spectacular thing about this site was the main temple building. I was gorgeous, obviously old, and covered with intricate carvings.




The grounds were also beautiful.

There were several small shrines scattered around the vicinity of the pagoda.


Finally the pagoda, itself:


And of course the ever present red bridge:

We didn't have time to do any hiking around Mt. Nakui. It was getting late already, and we still had to drive home. It was very muddy that day anyway. We hope to return to Nanbu for camping and hiking. It was a full and fun day.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts